February 9, 2015 ByAngelika Christie
Is there anything more contagious than humour? When used effectively, laughter often connects people and serves as an icebreaker. Biologically, laughter also brings about positive changes to the human body. So what are the benefits of laughter?
1) Good for business: Humour is best for business. Companies such as Zappos and Southwest Airlines have used humour and laughter to foster loyalty. A positive culture often helps in retaining employees and enticing customers.1
2) Relaxes your body: A research study at University of Maryland concluded that blood vessels of people who laugh more, contract and expand easily. This helps in blood flow.2 It also lowers stress hormones, leaving you with a sense of euphoria.
3) Good Sleep: Dr. Laurence Peter, author of ‘The Peter Principle’ stated that one should laugh louder and bigger. This helps in more long lasting relief. Inevitably, you will lower your stress levels and get good quality sleep.
4) Humorous Ab- workout: One of the funny benefits of laughter is that it helps you tone your abs. When you laugh, the muscles in your stomach expand and contract, helping you tone your abs.
5) Saves your relationships: Humour brings about physiological benefits to a relationship. It helps to stay open and embrace difficult scenarios and find a solution rather than engaging in fights. Laughter is also seen as an act of forgiveness by letting go of the need to be ‘right’. So, Go ahead and laugh more! You will live
longer and be happier